Three and a half years after the last 'stable' release and over two years
since the first 1.2 alpha, here it is: 1.2 final.
What? You thought Microsoft had the monopoly in programming disasters?
Now that we have got there I hope you won't mind if I ask for your help:
- Please, report any bugs you find.
- Some of the translations are very dated and, in most cases, I haven't
heard from the people who made them in years. If you would like to
use Getleft in your mother tongue, please e-mail me.
- I would like to know what you find most jarring about the user interface.
From the begining I have tried to make Getleft as easy to use as I could
think of. So if you think you are working too hard to download a site or
you find that the way Getleft behaves is weird, please, tell me about it.
I would specially like to hear from Mac users, my experience
with MacOS X is quite limited, so I don't really know what you expect
from a program.
I am quite certain though this is what you call a 'poor Windows port'.
Share the wonders,
Version 1.2 released 25-January-08
- Bug fix: In MacOs, the widgets didn't appear centered in the
- Bug fix: If you did a 'Control-c' in the main window with an empty
url queue, you would get an error.
Version 1.2RC1 released 17-December-07
- New feature: A Slovak translation, thanks to Julius Szanyi.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to thank him since his mail server seems
to believe I am a spammer.
- Bug fix: If you were hand editing either the url or the directory
of a download in the main window, and then you tried to finished the edit
clicking in the window, it wouldn't work.
- Bug fix: While you where downloading an Url, you should not be able
to edit the Url or Directory in the main window, unfortunately it didn't
quite work like that.
- Bug fix: If you double-clicked in the main window and no sites where
in the queue you would get an error.
- Bug fix: The dialog to choose the file extension of the files not to
download didn't work.
- Bug fix: Getleft would miss links like:
- Bug fix: If you deselect a link in the 'Choose Links' dialog, the
web page should change that link to a complete one, for example, if the
link is 'index.html', it should be changed to 'http://www.cosa.com/index.html'
so that you can still follow it if you want. Getleft wasn't doing it.
- Bug fix: Sometimes Getleft would miss links that were close to the end of
- Bug fix: If you use the options dialog in the 'Choose links' dialog to
change some options, the dialog would be refresh several times, now it will
only be done once.
- Enhancement: I have made some slight changes to the way I create the
Getleft Windows executable, so that now it will show the 'blue earth' icon
and if you right-click on it to see the properties, you will see something
about Getleft. Please, report any problems.
- Enhancement: Updated Csaba Nemethi's
tablelist widget to version 4.8.
- Enhancement: Fixed Getleft so that it will run with Tile as included
in Tcl/Tk 8.5a6.
- Enhancement: When opening the file log, it will show the last download
by default which, I hope, is usually what we want to see.
- Whatever: With the latest alpha of Tcl/Tk a bug was fixed in how
widgets are located within a labelframe, so I have stopped compensating
for it. That means that if you are still running Tcl/Tk 8.5a5, dialogs
will look drunk.
Version 1.2b2 released 5-march-07
- Enhancement: I have changed the icons for, I hope,
better looking ones.
Actually, you will only be able to see them if you use a Getleft binary
or have either the
extension, which you do if you have
installed. If you don't, Getleft will fall back to the 'classic' buttons.
A side effect is that you can no longer choose the set of icons to use,
I hope you didn't like the HiColor set too much.
- New feature: In Linux, I have added an entry to the 'Tools' menu to change
the theme to use, it is there mainly in case the KDE skin doesn't work for you.
- Enhancement: I have changed the dialog to enter urls a bit.
- Enhancement: Updated the tablelist widget to version 4.6 released by
- Enhancement: Suddenly, I realized that the dialog to choose links wasn't
very user-friendly, so I added a help button and rewrote the section of the
help file that describes it.
Better late than never I guess.
- Enhancement: I changed the color the urls in the queue get during an automatic
download, now I use the same color as when they are selected, which may be
a bit confusing, but it will certainly look better.
- New feature: I have improved the 'install.tcl' script so that it allows you
to create a desktop icon and menu entry for Getleft.
The real work is made by the
but, since distros are still getting ready for this utilities, they may or
may not work for you. Even if they do, you may have to log out and back in.
As usual, comments are welcome.
- Bug fix: I noticed a review at
I have no idea what it says but, considering the screenshot clearly shows
Getleft malfuctioning, it can't be too flattering.
- Bug fix: The context menu in the 'Choose links' dialog still had
- Bug fix: Hard as it is to believe, you could still get an error about
the registry in Windows, this is quickly becoming Getleft's most fixed
bug, but don't worry, I will keep on fixing it at no extra charge.
- Bug fix: In the dialog to choose directories in Linux, you could get
into trouble trying to get into a directory for which you didn't have
the right permissions.
Likewise you could choose a directory for which you didn't have write
Version 1.2b1 released 22-Jan-2007
- New feature: Thanks to a feature request by Thomas Ritzerfeld
I have made a 'GetleftToGo' package that can be run from USB memory sticks.
So far I have only bothered with a Windows version, it would be trivial to
make a Linux or Mac Os X version, but does someone need it?
- New feature: I have made a Linux x86 binary using
Tclkit Lite, it
is based on Tcl/Tk alpha 5, together with all the Tcl extensions
needed to run Getleft.
This is something of an experiment and I am curious to see if
the binary will look well in diferent systems. In theory, if you
have KDE installed, it should look like a KDE app but that's only
a theory. Please let me know how close it is to real life.
As I said, it is based on an alpha build of Tcl/Tk, which has
the inconvinient of Getleft crashing on exit, but it seems to be
harmless and, in exchange, we get better looking fonts and menus.
- Enhancement: I added menu accelerators, even if you will only be
able to see them in the English and Spanish versions until the other
translations get updated.
- Enhancement: When you deselect a link in the 'Choose Files' dialog
it won't be downloaded even if they are linked to in other pages of the
- Bug fix: The option to get a map of a site didn't work.
- Bug fix: The log with the downloaded sites was never meant to keep
more than a hundred entries, unfortunately there was a bug that allowed it
grow without limit in certain cases.
I also put a limit to the file log, now, if it reaches 1.5MB, it will be
shrunk back to 1MB.
- Bug fix: The buttons didn't work if you pressed Return
- Bug fix: The right click menu in the main window wouldn't
work right with more than one entry selected.
- Bug fix: If you ever got an error about getting an 'end'
instead of an integer, you may never see it again.
- Bug fix: I noticed that Chinese characters were very messy in the
bold font used in menus in Linux, so I have turned all bold fonts into normal
- Bug fix: You would get an error if you tried to cancel the config wizard.
- Added a default theme in case Getleft is run in Vista, even
if it is a bit un-vista like.
Version 1.2a3 released 12-Oct-06
Version 1.2a2 released 10-Apr-06
- Bug fix: After you had completed an automatic download, the next
url you entered would also be downloaded in automatic mode, whether you
wanted or not.
- Bug fix: Looks like it was still possible to get the error about
the registry package in Windows.
- Mostly, I have been tweaking the interface a bit:
- I have added two buttons at the bottom of the help window, so
that you can increase or decrease the font size.
- I have been fooling around with the 'Choose files' dialog, please,
let me know what you think of it.
- Bug fix: There was at least one case in which the 'Choose Files"
dialog in which the description would be "Link in Image: ", without
anything after the colon.
- Bug fix: The menu option to add a link to the queue in the 'Choose
Files' dialog didn't work.
- I have added an horizontal line in the main window between the
menus and the icons, it will prevent the 'sunken' look in the menus
- Bug fix: I noticed in the 'Site log' dialog that, sometimes,
pressing the 'up' and 'down' keys would not move the selected site.
- In some operatings systems, like when using KDE, once you had
used a dialog once, the following times you invoked it, it would appear
'below' the other windows of the program, while the tag in the taskbar
blinked, I found it very annoying so I changed that behaviour.
- Bug fix: After a file was downloaded the progress bar wouldn't
go back to zero.
- Bug fix: Looks like some dialogs, like the ones to choose the links
to download were not yet adapted for Tcl/Tk 8.5.
Version 1.2a1 released 28-Nov-05
- Enhancement: I have ported Getleft to use the
which should give the program a better looking interface. Comments are welcome,
if something doesn't look good to you, please send me a screen capture so I can
see what's wrong.
Many thanks to Joe English for his work on Tile and for answering my
questions about it in the newsgroup.
By the way, this means the use of Tile is required for Getleft to work.
- New port: A side effect of using the Tile extension is that Getleft now
works on MacOs X, this is very experimental stuff, so any comments would be
- Enhacement: Thanks to a feature request by Pranav Tekchand
Getleft has now supports the EMBED tag.
- Enhacement: Thanks to a, very polite, request by Malt Whiskman
the cURL binary I include with the Windows version is now compiled with
You need to enter something like: file://localhost/c:/index.html.
- Enhancement: The list of urls in the main window can now be sorted
by clicking on the column headers.
- Enhancement: The dialogs should now look well on Tcl's 8.5 alphas.
- Bug fix: You may have met an error in Windows about how Getleft is
unable to find the registry package, I hope you won't any more.
- Bug fix: Thanks to Tomi H�s� if you ever got an error about
'switch -regexp $lowerTag', you shouldn't any more.
- I am dopping support for Tcl/Tk versions below 8.4, since 8.4.0 was
released over three years ago, I think there is not much point in doing it
- Updated the Csaba Nemethi's tablelist widget to version 4.2.
Version 1.1.2 released 7-June-04
- Enhancement: In the 'Choose files' dialog when you use the
context-menu entry to put all files in the queue, you will now be
asked for the directory below which they will be saved.
- Bug fix: In the last beta, if you middle-clicked on an entry that
had not text selected, an error message would appear.
- Bug fix: I added 'nul' and 'con' to the file names Windows
Version 1.1.2b2 released 21-May-04
- Enhancement: Michael Kim has updated his Korean translation.
- Enhancement: If you ever tried to use the key that opens the context
menu in the window you are on, you will be happy to know it should now work.
- Enhancement: Context menus are now complete with key accerelators, at
least they are if you use either English or Spanish, the other languages will
have to wait until the translations get updated.
- Enhancement: In the context menu in the 'Choose File' dialog, there is
now a new entry to put in the queue all the selected links, as a directory, it
will use the last one appending the description of the link in the dialog.
- Bug fix: Aighaid and Sam Palmer told me that the latest
beta wouldn't start up in Windows 98.
- Bug fix: It seems that Windows doesn't like filenames like 'com1.txt'
- Bug fix: Getleft would crash on start up if you had entered an Url with
';' in it.
- Enhancement: Updated the
to version 1.5 released by Andrei A. Gratchev
- Enhancement: Made some small changes in the way the entries in the
'Enter URL' dialog work, specially in how the selection is treated. If you
don't think it works as it should, don't forget to complain.
Version 1.1.2b1 released 15-March-04
- Bug fix: Roguetech reminded me that there are directory
names, like 'com1', that are reserved in Windows, so now when Getleft has
to create a directory like that in Windows it will add a 'g' at the begining.
If you know more reserved names apart from 'aux','comx' or 'lptx', please
let me know.
- Enhancement: JW and Udo Nesshoever let me know that
the directory in which Getleft saves the configuration data didn't work
In win2k and winXP, Getleft will now save it in 'Application Data'
under you home directory and it will still work even if you have changed
it in the registry.
In case you had it, as we did until know, directly under your home
directory, it will be automatically moved.
- Bug fix: Wes pointed me to a site that fooled Getleft into
doing stupid things, specially when the downloading levels were limited.
As a result, Getleft will now behave a lot better with limited levels.
- Bug fix: If you had set a level limit in the 'Options' menu, next
time you open the options menu, it would say '1' regardless of the level
you had set.
- Enhancement: When you are already downloading a site, the 'Start
now' button in the 'Enter Url' dialog will be disabled.
- Enhancement: Felix Christoph Lotzin has updated the German
- Bug fix: Filip let me know of a case in which Getleft would
fail to download links, and Snorlax showed me a site in which Getleft
wouldn't download all images.
- Bug fix: I am afraid that trying to sort the files in the log by their size
used to cause an error in languages that use the point as decimal separator, like
- Enhancement: Update the tablelist widget to version 3.4 released by
- Bug fix: It seems that Getleft would get 'confused' if you entered
a directory with a trailing '/'
Version 1.1.1 released 7-Jul-03
- Enhancement: In the title of the 'Choose files' dialog you will now
see the url you are downloading.
- Bug fix: Carlos Cortes let me know that Getleft wouldn't work with Tcl/Tk
older than 8.3, it should now work again with 8.1 or newer.
- Bug fix: The were some times when trying to select several urls from
the queue in the main window, that the urls would deselect themselves when
releasing the mouse button, it shouldn't happen any more.
- Bug fix: In some cases, when in automatic mode, if a site failed to
respond correctly, Getleft would try to download it once and again
indefinetely, now it will simply leave it in the queue for you to decide
what to do with it.
Version 1.1.1b1 released 5-June-03
- Enhancement: Thanks to Chris Rutkowski that pointed it to me, I have made Getleft
download background images.
- Bug fix: I have mentioned before that Tcl has default recursion limit
of 100 levels, there are times in very interlinked sites in which Getleft
reaches that limit and it wasn't recovering from it as well as it should, which
may have caused you to lose a few links.
- Bug fix: I you ever got an error about 'window(bar)' not existing
when canceling a download, I hope you won't any more.
- Enhancement: I finally got Getleft to recognice the 'refresh' meta
tag, the kind the automatically redirects you to another page.
- Enhancement: If you type <Control>-a or <Control>-e in
the main window, all the urls in the queue will be selected.
- Bug fix: If you had more than one url selected in the queue and
you right-clicked on one of them, the rest would lose the selection.
- Enhancement: Updated the tablelist widget to version 3.2 released by
- Bug fix: If you opened the file log while there was nothing there
and then, after some urls had been added, you right-clicked on one of them,
you would get an error.
- Enhancement: The key bindings for the buttons will now also work
if you have the caps lock enabled.
- Bug fix: In the description of the files in the 'Choose files'
dialog, you could sometimes get a trailing '>' at the end of the
Version 1.1 released 17-March-03